Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Years

I honestly can't believe 2010 is already over. It seems like just yesterday that I was celebrating the end of 2009 in Washington, PA while listening to Luke and Aimee argue about how terrible Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin are.  Fun Times! But anyways, New Years Eve is always everyone's favorite time to reminisce about the past, so I decided to do my own mini review of the year. I can't help but love nostalgia. 

My Favorite Game of the Year: Super Mario Galaxy 2.


Tons of attention has already been showered onto this game, so its pointless for me to talk about it much. Just know, that all of the positive things you've heard about the game are true. Anyone who hasn't played this game yet should go do that. If you have a Wii, I'm sure you can find a cheap copy easily by this point, and if you don't have a Wii then feel free to come over and play it. I'm sure Luke wouldn't mind seeing it again.

My Most Disappointing Game of the Year: Monster Hunter Tri. 


Let me just make it clear that I am not saying this game is bad. Its actually really good and probably one of the best third party games to come out on the Wii this year. However, it was disappointing to me because I had such high hopes for this game. The main problem with it, is that if your not playing it with your friends than the game is just not that fun. Its no surprise that once David stopped playing that I quickly followed suit. 

Best Game That I Played This Year That I Should've Played Much Earlier: Dragon Age Origins


This is another game that deserves all of the praise thats been said about it. I've spent the past few weeks playing this game every chance I get, and I honestly can't get enough. I don't remember the last true computer RPG I've played, and its refreshing to be playing that genre again. My original goal was to try and finish the game before school starts, but I don't see that happening. I'm 30 hours into it and I'm maybe like halfway through the game ... if that. 

Best Board Game Introduced to Me This Year: Race for the Galaxy


When I first played Race for the Galaxy, I didn't really like it all that much. I felt like the game was needlessly complicated, and to be honest, the game does have a very steep learning curve. Once I figured out how to play it, I promptly became addicted. There was definitely an era in Pittsburgh where all we did was play RFTG. I've been too scared to pick up the rest of the expansions for fear that we will get sucked in its vortex again.

Best Game Dredged Up From the Past By Us This Year: Final Fantasy VI


It had been many years since I had last played or thought about this game. This is weird for me, since it still is my favorite game of all time and I used to play through it at least once a year. It was dredged up from the past by Juliana, enjoyed thoroughly by Luke, and written about critically by me. Fun times had by all. Expect a couple more FF6 articles during the new year.

Favorite Magic Expansion From This Year: Scars of Mirrodin


Its no secret that I like Artifact decks, so a return to Mirrodin was quite welcome. The set is fun to play with, balanced (there are no overpowered Planeswalkers or cycle of ridiculous format defining cards), and has contributed to a very diverse Standard format. Scars does have a lot of problems (inclusive block design for instance), but I just enjoy playing it more than the rest of the expansions released this year. I honestly feel like 2010 wasn't that great for Magic as a whole (or maybe M10 + Zendikar was just a hard act to follow).

Well thats all for now. I hope everyone has a fun and drunken New Years Eve! See you next year! Derp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment