Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Studio City Knights

After we were shown our apartment in Studio City and loved it, Luke and I ran back to the Mele's condo and did an obligatory Google search to see what kinds of things were around the apartment before we filled out our application. The area had everything we could ever want... all within walking distance. Amazing grocery store? Check. Thai and Mexican restaurants? Check. Vegan restaurants? Check. Bank and other useful errand places? Check. Gay bar? Check. To our surprise however, we also found out there was a hobby shop walking distance and we decided that it was going to be one of the first places we checked out.

Knight Ware
3709 Cahuenga Blvd
Studio City, CA 91604-3504


Luke, Jules, and I drove over to the shop a few days later in an excited hurry. Upon entry into the store, we were greeted by a very talkative butch woman. We quickly find out that she is the owner of the store ... and she is a very intense and somewhat pushy person. Luke and I managed to break free from our conversation with her, leaving Jules behind to be hit on. Once I actually get a chance to look around the store, I became quite impressed. The amount of play space here for Magic or games is bigger or at least comparable to Mr. Nice Guy's in Pittsburgh. Her stock of Magic singles was also impressive, since not only does she have tons of inventory, but her inventory is completely sorted by expansion set and collector's number (remember when I said that she was intense). The downside to this is that she doesn't have like a bulk rare box or anything to really look through. You have to give her a list of cards and she'll grab it for you (this is because she doesn't want anything to be out of order). She has a huge selection of board games for sale (comparable to Aero Hobby in Santa Monica) and tons of Warhammer miniatures if you're into that sorta thing. The only thing that I didn't like about the place was that she didn't have a good selection of card sleeves there, which isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Overall, by the time we left I had a pretty good first impression of this place and was excited to play some Magic here.

The Friday after we moved into our apartment, I took a walk down to Knight Ware for some FNM. Apparently she holds both drafts and standard tournaments on the same night, which means she normally gets a pretty big turn out on Fridays. I signed up for draft and as I was standing around waiting for my M11 draft to start I saw two very young children running around the store. My first thought was that these kids were with one of the customers in the store. I started to look around the store some, and I saw that there was a playpen in the back of the store. One of the kids then walked up to me and I got a good look at him, and sure enough, he looked exactly like the owner of the store. I was a little bit confused at this point, and as I was talking to the kid, a man walks up to me and introduces himself as the owner's husband. My mind was blown. I thought for sure that the owner was a butch lesbian. I was speechless. I guess I'm just a terrible person. I also just want to point out that the owner is super nice and helpful, and I don't mean to belittle her in any way. I just thought she was a lesbian.

Anyways, the draft starts shortly afterward and goes well. I don't do well enough to get a prize mind you, but I was proud of myself for drafting a semi-decent deck for the first (and last) time drafting M11. The players at the store are very relaxed and casual. However, that's not to say that everyone there is bad or anything. There were some good players there, but the atmosphere was super casual and relaxed, which is something I vastly prefer. One of the reasons why I didn't play at Mr. Nice Guy's often was that the atmosphere at that store was really intense. Although to be fair, it probably just seemed that way because Zohar would be screaming at the top of his lungs anytime he made a play in any game he was playing. Regardless, I left the draft really happy with the store and I made plans to come back often and play.

On a somewhat related note, I played the Scars of Mirrodin pre-release at Knight Ware over the weekend. It solidified everything I had to say above. The quality of players there is above average, the store is super chill, and there is tons of space to play. I went 4-0 with a mono white metalcraft deck, which was so fast no one knew how to play against it. This set is a blast to play in limited, although as expected, lots of people are playing bad infect decks. Word of advice for the limited poison players out there: Having a lot of infect creatures doesn't mean you should go infect. You need creature pump to back it up, as that is the only way you will reliably poison someone to death. If you don't have enough pump then don't bother with infect.

Another thing I noticed about this set now that I've had a chance to really analyze it, is that the number of good commons and uncommons in this set for constructed and casual is way lower than any recent set. Its not really worth it to buy any packs because of this. In fact, if you look at my previous Scars of Mirrodin post, you'll notice that most of the cards I picked out were either rare or mythic. I still like the set a lot, but this is definitely a major problem I have with it. Also, I forgot to give a shout out to one of the best cards in the set:



Expect this guy to see play everywhere.

5 comments:

  1. (I realize that I usually comment here first, but that's largely because I also usually know the precise time Alex updates his blog).

    I agree that this game shop is very cool, and a huge perk to living on the edge of Studio City. While we had to drive roughly 20 minutes to a half hour (depending on how many zombies were on the road) to get to Mr. Nice Guy's in Pittsburgh, this place is a nice fifteen-minute walk or two-minute drive. The crowd seems pretty easy-going and not too monstery. Plus, I always really like looking at the various amazing dice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think mythics are just a ridiculous marketing concept. I'll stick to investing in stock and diet soda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diet soda becomes more valuable over time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the rate of consumption by gays and folks with diabetes, diet sodas will become a rare commodity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Investing in Mythics is like investing in stock. I made close to 100 bucks on my Jace, the Mindsculptors.

    ReplyDelete