Monday, September 27, 2010

Coming out as a Gamer

I came out of the closet at a Costco parking lot where I broke the news to my overwhelmed Jehovah's Witness Korean mother. While I was being condemned to hell, my mother and I would have breaks in our heated argument to discuss the amazing deals at Costco. Unfortunately, I don't believe that I can ever enjoy eating another Costco Polish Sausage without the looming thought that my mother is praying for my soul. Regardless, the point is that every homosexual has a story that describes the beginning of their metamorphosis into their open fierce queer self. BAM!

But what about coming out as a Gamer? As much as I love the idea that all Gay men love unicorns, fashion, and Crate & Barrel - some of us have a different set of triggers that excite our senses - like the feel of the hard edges of a d20, the smell of a newly opened booster pack of Magic: The Gathering cards, or the overwhelming feel of glory after catching a shiny Pokemon. We are the hybrid of two social minority groups and consequently have to deal with "coming out" as both.

My mother thought my draw to Dungeons & Dragons, Magic: The Gathering, and Diablo were all forms of demon worship. I had to intentionally avoid playing black decks to prevent her from becoming more suspicious. Yeah. I know.

My non-gamer college buddies thought my days of LARPing and World of Warcraft raiding were not justifyable methods of socializing.

And now in my adult career-focused life, my co-workers think its odd that a health researcher finds enjoyment playing Agricola or Starcraft II. (I like drinking too, so that should balance things out right?)

But who cares? The reality is that we exist and will continue to exist. Just like other facets of our social identity, being a Gamer is something that we should proudly identify with because there's nothing to be ashamed about. Gamers have increased perceptive and cognitive abilities , constant reinforcement on the necessity to make decisions, and opportunities to work cooperatively.

So there you have it my fellow Gaymers - Go forth and be merry...Unless you're also a furry. You guys always ruin everything good.

2 comments:

  1. Jason, you've inspired me to write my own coming out as a gay gaymer post.

    ReplyDelete